|The museum has been installed since 1992 in the historic Fortress of São Tiago, in Funchal, founded in 1614, which became small considering the extent of the collection.
The Museum's collection consists of contemporary Portuguese art, dated from the 60s of the 20th century until now. Its initial nucleus collection comes from the Funchal City Plastic Arts Prize, an initiative carried out in 1966 and 1967. This first collection, which was temporarily displayed in Quinta Magnolia, in Funchal, since 1986, was transferred in 1992 to the Fortress of São Tiago.
From the initial set, the highlight goes to the works of Joaquim Rodrigo, António Areal, José Escada, Helena Almeida, Jorge Martins, Artur Rosa, Manuel Baptista and Nuno de Siqueira, amongst others.
This Museum has been developing a purchase policy, especially since the 90s, having represented in its collection many of the most prominent Portuguese artists, some of them born in Madeira Island: Lourdes Castro, Michael Biberstein, Patrícia Garrido, Martha Telles, Pedro Cabrita Reis, Ana Vidigal, Gäetan, Eduardo Batarda, Daniel Blaufuks, Bárbara Assis Pacheco, Miguel Branco, Pedro Calapez, Pedro Casqueiro, Rui Chafes, Pedro Portugal, José Pedro Croft, Ilda David, Jorge Molder, José Loureiro, Álvaro Lapa, Ana Hatherly, João Vilhena, Alberto Carneiro, Pedro Gomes, Pedro Proença and many others.
Built on the former 16th century manor house Casa das Mudas in Calheta, the Centro das Artes Casa das Mudas, was a project designed by the Madeiran architect Paulo David, internationally recognised and awarded. It was inaugurated in October 2004.
The new museum introduces the MudasBus with return trips between Funchal and Calheta. Daily trips departure from Funchal at 10.00am and return at 1.00pm. The trips depart from the city centre and go through the hotel’s area in Estrada Monumental on the way to Calheta and back.