This platform will be closed soon, please enter the new Madeira Culture site. 



Following the recommendations of the Regional Government, and in accordance with the preventive measures of COVID-19, we inform that all museums and cultural centres of the Regional Directorate for Culture will be closed to the public until a date to be announced.
We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Museums  Museums
Museus Columbus House -Museum of Porto Santo

The Columbus House-Museum of Porto Santo is installed on an articulated set of buildings, now standardized by the works of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. According to oral tradition, long widespread, lived here Columbus, during his dwell in Porto Santo, after his marriage with Filipa de Moniz, daughter of the first Donatory Captain of Porto Santo, Bartolomeu Perestrelo.

Museus House-Museum Frederico de Freitas

The House-Museum Frederico de Freitas, of imposing proportions and bright red colour is a striking presence on the steep Sidewalk of Santa Clara and a prominent element in the urban civil architecture of the historic area of St. Peter and the city centre.
Also known as Casa da Calçada , this description identifies the former residence of the Counts of Calçada, whose ancestors are associated with it since its inception in the seventeenth century.

Museus Fortress of São Tiago

The construction of the fortress of São Tiago must have begun around 1614, as can be seen in the inscription on the primitive gate.
The start of the construction should be attributed to Jerónimo Jorge, a fortifier who arrived in Madeira to replace Mateus Fernandes, author of the plans of the city walls and who worked here since 1596. After the death of Jerome George in 1617, the work was continued by his son, Bartolomeu João.

Museus Madeira Ethnographic Museum
The Museum is located on property that belonged, in the early seventeenth century, to the convent of Santa Clara in Funchal, acquired by Luís Gonçalves da Silva, captain of the Ordinances of Ribeira Brava, who carried out the construction works to extend the existing building and an evocation of the Chapel of St. Joseph in 1710.
Museus Quinta das Cruzes Museum (reopens on December 7).

Quinta das Cruzes is one of the largest “quintas“ with historic tradition in the bay of Funchal, linked to the family of the first Donatory Captain, who have worked in the late fifteenth, early sixteenth century. A small building, started by Joao Goncalves Zarco (1425-1467?), was increased by his son João Gonçalves da Câmara. This house remained in the family until the mid seventeenth century, moving through marriage alliances, to the Lomelino family until the late nineteenth century.

Museus Historic Nucleus of Santo Amaro - Captain’s Tower
The Historic nucleus of Santo Amaro- Captain’s tower, consists of a group of representative buildings of the Fifteenth to seventeenth centuries including the Captain's Tower, the Chapel of Santo Amaro, the Pilgrims House and the new building.
Museus Madeira Photography Museum - Atelier Vicente’s

Madeira Photography Museum - Atelier Vicente's is one of the oldest photography studios in Portugal.
Vicente Gomes da Silva (1827-1906) began his business in 1848 as recorder.
In 1856 begins the “art of photography”.
The entire assets of this commercial house became in 1979 cultural heritage of Madeira Autonomous Region.
The Museum was opened to public in 1982. Until 1972 the studio belonged to the same family, for four generations, being his last representative Jorge Bettencourt Gomes da Silva (1913-2008), and active contributed to the Museum.

Museus Museum A Cidade do Açúcar
The Museum A Cidade do Açúcar (The City of Sugar) is the natural consequence of a small nucleus designated Museum nucleus A Cidade do Açucar , inaugurated in 1996 as a memory of a King D. Manuel I Style home, destroyed in the nineteenth century owned by thr merchant João Esmeraldo, who hosted the discoverer of America, Christopher Columbus.
Museus Madeira Whale Museum
The museum opened on September 2nd of 2011 and holds a permanent exhibition, as well as other educational and research activities, which may be consulted in detail on the museum's official website. 
Museus Electricity Museum – Casa da Luz
The Museum of Electricity "Casa da Luz", is a museum of the Company, (EEM-Electricity Company of Madeira), which is installed in the space of the old Power Station of Funchal, opened in 1897, th so called Madeira Wood Electric Lighting Company Limited , the first electricity utility in Madeira.
Museus The Arte Sacra Museum of Funchal

The Arte Sacra Museum of Funchal is located in the former Bishop's Palace, founded by D. Luis Figueiredo de Lemos, in 1594. It was designed by Jerome George, master of royal works, who worked here in the defences of the city of Funchal. From the original building, still survives a west section, over the Praça do Município and Rua do Bispo.

Museus Henrique and Francisco Franco Museum
The Municipality of Funchal acquired in 1966 from the heirs of sculptor Francisco Franco, a part of his estate. It was hypothesized at the time, exposing some of his works at the Museum of Quinta das Cruzes.
In 1972 a new set of works by the Franco brothers is acquired by the Funchal City Hall, including a comprehensive set of paintings by Henrique Franco.
Museus Madeira Military Museum
The exhibition aims to raise people’s attention and awareness towards the importance of the role played by the Madeira Island in Portuguese military history. Simultaneously, it introduces the historical evolution of the São Lourenço fortress construction works, where is located the Military Headquarters of Madeira.
Museus Natural History Museum of Funchal

The Natural History Museum is the oldest museum in operation in the archipelago of Madeira. It is installed in the Palace of St. Pedro, Funchal, one of the most significant works of the Portuguese civil architecture of the mid-eighteenth century, built by the family Carvalhal. The 1st Earl of Carvalhal was Joao Jose Vasconcelos Xavier Carvalhal Esmeraldo of Atouguia Bettencourt Sá Machado (1778-1837). It was his heir and 2nd Earl of Carvalhal, António Leandro Carvalhal (1831-1888). His marriage to D. Matilda of Montufar Infante had two daughters, D. Teresa da Câmara, the future Countess of Ribeiro Real D. and Maria da Câmara, who came to marry the Count of Resende.

Museus Mudas. Museum of Contemporary Art
The Museum of Contemporary Art was created in 1992, when the Fort of São Tiago was transferred to the Regional Government of Madeira, under the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs.
In October 2015, this institution was transferred to the Casa das Mudas Arts Centre in Calheta, a project of the architect Paulo David that was inaugurated in October 2004. The institution’s name was changed accordingly and is now called Mudas. Museu de Arte Contemporânea da Madeira. 
Museus Fort of São João Baptista do Pico

It was named as such, due to its proximity to the ribeira de São João (stream), also due to the fact that it was erected on Pico dos Frias, as it is referred to, around the end of the 16th century. Its construction took place during the first decades of the 17th century, under the auspices of the Philip dinasty (1580-1640). Before being made out of limestone, construction that began in 1606, sixty thousand reis were spent for a caravel with forty moios of lime, it was a simple castle made out of wood (1602-1603).

Palaces / Foundations / Visitable Collections / Permanent Exhibitions
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Civic and Cultural Centre of Santa Clara - The Memories of João Carlos Abreu

It is installed in a house from the late nineteenth century, in Calçada do Pico, near historic buildings of Funchal city, as the Convent of Santa Clara and the Quinta das Cruzes Museum, with collections of the former Regional Secretary of Tourism and Culture, João Carlos Abreu who was a journalist, writer, hotel manager and Secretary of Tourism and Culture for many years.

Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Berardo Foundation - Jardins da Quinta "Monte Palace"
The Quinta do Monte Palace is situated in a privileged zone of the high bay of Funchal, known in the nineteenth century as a major summer resort. Monte binds a romantic tradition, by leafy trees and gardens, quintas that lurk from various angles.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Madeira Wine Company - São Francisco Wineries

The Cellars of São Francisco, "The Blandy Wine Lodges" have an interesting exhibition area, located in a set of buildings, largely the only remaining part of the former Convent of St. Francisco in Funchal, demolished in the nineteenth century. The earliest phase of construction is due to Luiz Álvares da Costa and his son Francisco Álvares da Costa, who started it in 1473.

Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Madeira Toy Museum
Created in 2003, from a collection of toys belonging to Borges Pereira, several other deposits of private collectors have been gathered through the years. The museum’s collection assembles around 20.000 pieces coming from England, France, Portugal and Germany. The collection consists of dolls, toy soldiers, miniature cars and games, dating from the late nineteenth century to the present days. Previously located in a private house, in Barreiros, the museum now has new home, located in a building dated from the eighteen century, part of the new “Armazém do Mercado”.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Museum of Wine and Vine
The Museum of Vine and Wine is located at the Experimental Field of Viticulture in Arco de São Jorge, in the municipality of Santana. The museum aims to be a live and interactive space, consists of the building, a restored ancient cellar where they were installed tools used in viticulture, mostly donated by the local population, and the experimental field. Three Cellar mills were recovered and, in an adjacent area, it was created a space for tasting various local products, especially honey cake and various traditional scones.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Archaeological Nucleus – Machico

This estate can be visited on the 1st floor of the Parish of Machico. Between 2005 and 2006 excavations were made in the backyard of the Parish of Machico, under the responsibility of the Office of Archaeology of the Municipality of Machico. The work put to view a collection of objects dating back to the epoch of Discoveries in Machico. It is noted, among others, a fine example of a copper gold jewellery of the fifteenth century with a new decor to considering the late Gothic Portuguese taste.

Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Machico Museum Nucleus – Solar do Ribeirinho
The Museum of Machico is a cultural institution created by the Municipality of Machico, after recovery of the Manor House Solar do Ribeirinho (built in the seventeenth century).
In this space you can find, in an interactive way, stories and characters that made part of the current city of Machico throughout its nearly 600-year history, distributed across the four nucleus themes in the exhibition.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes IVBAM Museological Nucleus
The building where is today installed the Wine Institute, Embroidery and Handicrafts was the former headquarters of the Guild of Industrial Embroidery of Madeira, which opened in 1958, built by the architect Fabrício Rodrigues. The institute has a museum site, redesigned in 1996, taking into account the need to build an environment of exposure to some of the most important regional crafts, including embroidery of Madeira and its temporal evolution, tapestry and inlaid wood.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Museum Nucleus Mary Jane Wilson
Small museum, consisting of five rooms, which attempts to present the life and work of Sister Mary Jane Wilson (1840-1916), founder of the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Victories and various educational institutions, religious and meritorious in Madeira Island.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Museum Nucleus – Lime Route
Rota da Cal (lime route) was ranked in 2005 by the Regional Government of Madeira as a Regional Public Interest heritage. The Association of this Route aims to "study, research, promotion, information and dissemination of culture and heritage, and the publication of studies and reports and promotion of tours, both scientific and educational."
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Palace of São Lourenço
Under a determination of D. Manuel I, King of Portugal, it was decided to build a fortress in 1513. From that era, or the following decades, is still clearly visible today in the east tower, the royal arms, the armillary sphere and the cross of Christ. The works were commissioned by João Cáceres, later augmented by interventions during the reign of King John III and after the onslaught of French privateers in 1566.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Madeira Theme Park
The Theme Park in Santana, opened in October 2004, is divided into multiple nucleus and includes many attractions for young and old - tourists and locals - related to history, traditions and culture of the people of Madeira.
Palácios / Fundações / Colecções Visitáveis/ Exposições Permanentes Museological Nucleus of Caniço
The permanent exhibition "Caniço: From Field to the City" is made up of several documents, newspapers, posters, crafts and photographs, mostly authored by Mr. José de Sá, Caniço photographer for several decades. Thanks to this estate and its public release, it is possible this valuable exhibition of memories of people and places.

Get Adobe Flash player Install latest flash player if you can't see this gallery, or click here to see the html version.


Contents: DRC - Department of Culture